About Otley BID
To give you a summary of what we stand for, Otley BID is an investment scheme where local businesses can agree on priorities for Otley. As a partnership we would decide how funds raised can be spent to improve our beautiful town, thus benefiting all businesses, employers, residents and visitors alike. Ultimately we would like every business within Otley to support this much needed, positive scheme.
The Formation of Otley BID Limited
We are a team of seven volunteer directors, six of whom are levy payers themselves. We meet once a month and have already implemented some of the aims set out in the Business Plan.
Some of the projects that have been actioned to date are:
- We purchased hanging baskets for the centre of town. These will be replanted in the autumn with winter plants and are being looked after by a local, levy paying company. It is hoped that we can expand these in 2015.
- In partnership with Otley Pub Club we part funded the very successful ‘French’ pub name banners. The exposure these gained both in this country and worldwide far exceeded anyone’s expectations.
- We have funded a full upgrade of the ‘Visit Otley’ website. This is a very valuable window for visitors to our town. The new website goes live in October.
- We are in negotiation with a local group of artists to update the town maps in our car parks, as well as producing a standalone leaflet that highlights the many interesting visitor trails within the town.
- Savings for our businesses on utility bills has always been a priority. Our aim is to save a high proportion of our levy payers more than they pay annually in levy payments. This project is almost ready to launch.
- As a town we have very few empty retail properties in comparison to the national average however; we do have a large proportion of empty commercial properties. We are in discussion with estate agents to see how best to tackle this.
Otley BID is on a five year journey, some of our goals will take longer than others to achieve, and so please be patient.